Monday, October 29, 2007

End of the Season, for real

Thankfully, the slew of 12:15 a.m. ending games is over, as the Boston Red Sox completed the sweep of the Cinderella Colorado Rockies. At the same time, I'm glad that baseball games that end too late, and while it's chilly outside are over, it is, as always, sad to know that another baseball season has officially, really, come to an end. Strategically, MLB does everything it can to prolong the interest in the sport during the off-season, with its painfully slow gradual release of all the award winners, the Scott Boras adventures, as he shifts superstars to various teams all while making ludicrous amounts of money for them as well as himself, and then the inevitable checking in by pitchers and catchers, then the position players into their respective Florida or Arizona spring training facilities. For the time being, I'm going to sit back and relax a little bit, and try and focus on other sports.

Speaking of which, the Redskins got annihilated by the New England Patriots, and the greatest football player ever in the history of football, Tom Brady. So despite the fact that Brady threw for his 28th, 29th, and 30th touchdown passes, the fact that they beat the Redskins cements that the, and you heard it here first, New England Patriots will NOT make the Super Bowl. With the constant running of the score, and the blatant attempts for Brady and Moss to pad stats, someone's going to get pissed, and someone's going to get injured. Probably when the Patriots play the Baltimore Ravens. The ultimate test, is to simply put Bill Belichick on the cover of Madden 2008.

So despite my stat-tracking, and predictions of predictability and probability, the one guy who wins the MVP and two crappy gay hybrid cars, is the one guy whom I forgot to, and then failed to mention because I was too lazy to go back and change it, Mike Lowell. Really now, I would've mentioned his respectable average and run-production, and I even already had his picture uploaded to my folder of player pictures - but at the point in which I realized that I didn't add him, the game was already underway, and I was too lazy to go back and add him, as well as look up his World Series stats.

But Lowell deserved the award, as he came up big last night, and capped it all off with a home run. Drew and Manny fizzled out, and despite my jockeying for Ellsbury, his production just wasn't dramatic enough, and I thought for certain that the award was going to go to Papelbon after he earned his third World Series save, and this one after 1.2 innings of work in consecutive nights, but it was no surprise to me when Lowell showed up on the podium. He hit well in every game, and drove in runs, and did his job exceptionally, as a #5 hitter.

I'm glad the World Series is over, but I'm sad the baseball season is really finished now.

Despite this blog being heavily in favor of baseball, I will make my damnedest attempt to keep blogging about sports in general throughout the off-season. I still have a couple of baseball-related topics I'd like to cover, but hopefully, I will make some concious attempts to write about other things, like the fruitless flight of the Atlanta Hawks, or be another whiny argument about how I could improve the BCS and college football. Either way, it's going to be a long off-season.

No comments: